Winter is almost here! Bone broth is high in nutrients which would be perfect to boost immune system during this flu season. It may benefit digestive health, help build muscle and bones, teeth, nails and hair, and reduces joint pain and inflammation.
Bone broth is made of bones and some meat, simmered for a long time that helps collagens and other nutrients to be extracted out from the bones. It is believed that this bone broth aid in curing allergies (check out my rhinitis self-care in this post), arthritis and asthma.
Adding vinegar is important because it helps to extract all valuable nutrients out of the bones and into the water added. I am using this apple vinegar.
Ultimate Chicken Bone Broth
- 400 grams chicken fillet
- 1 chicken bones
- 250 grams chicken feet
- 1/4 cup shitake mushroom rough chopped
- 2 celery stalks rough chopped
- 3 big carrots rough chopped
- 3 zucchini rough chopped
- 2 onions rough chopped
- 5 garlic rough chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme (optional)
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven 180 degrees celcius
- Spread out bones, chicken feet and vegetables on large pan sheet
- Roast for about 15-20 minutes or until bones and veggies have a nice brown roasted color
- Add bones and vegetables to a stock pot. Don't forget to put in the rest of ingredients (chicken fillet, herbs, apple cider vinegar)
- Add enough water, bring to a boil and simmer, covered, for about 22 hours, on low heat (level 1-2)
- Once broth is cooled, strain out bones, chicken feet, and herbs. Up to this point, you can keep the clear broth if you like, but to make it liquid gold, please go to the next step.
- To make a liquid gold, put the rest of chicken fillet and vegetables into a food processor, add some of the stocks. Blend them all until blended thoroughly.
- Pour broth into mason jars or other containers and cool completely before storing in refrigerator or freezer.
- if you are using slow cooker, just set it to 24 hours. if you are using stock pot, make sure to put the heat on low level
- add more water to top up the liquid in the pot
- you can change the chicken into beef
If you don’t enjoy drinking the bone broth right away, you can use it as the base for soups, stews, and sauces. You can start consume 1 cup daily to boost your overall health system.